Click on the link below to view the article.
Author: Dr. Y. Umanatha Shenai
Place: Kuduma, Dharmsthala, Dakshina Kannada
The author presents the history of Dharmasthala in detail. Dharmasthala was known as Kuduma till 15th century. The author furnishes the inscriptions and other evidences and dates the existence of the temple to early 14th century. The pious couple Bharmanna Heggade and Ammu Ballalthi were the ones who established the temples in Kuduma. Heggadehalli inscription (1731) of King of Kodagu, Haaleri Dodda Veerappa Odeya and Kaanchodu inscription (1772) of Devappa Raja Odeya speak of grants given to ‘Kudumada Manjunatha’ temple. The article also gives complete details of how Dharmasthala grew under the administration of various Dharmadikaaris.