Inscriptions of Bangalore East Taluk – A Study

Click on the link below to view the article.

Shasanagala hinneleyalli Bengaluru Purva Taluku -Inscriptions of Bangalore East Taluk –  A Study

Author:  Dr. P. V. Krishnamurthy

Place: Bangalore, Bengaluru, K.R. Puram, Krishnaraja Puram, Bellandur, Koramangala, Chikkajala, Koyira, Bidarahalli, Jyothipura, Somappanahalli, Varthur, Nagondanahalli, Medihalli, Ele Mallappa Shetti lake, Kammasandra, Kaadugodi, Pattandur, Haggadur, Gunjur, Gunduru, Dodda Nekkundi, Madur, Bairatthi, Hudi, Immadihalli, Saadara Mangala, Bannerughatta, Hosur, Jigani, Haaragadde, Berike, Maasthi, Gunjur,  SoolaKunte, Gopasandra, Singmana Katte, Kempapura, Nekkundi, Edamurkandahalli, Yemare, Sarjapura, Vibhuthipura, Hudi, Doddakannelli, Kyalasanahalli, Kithiganuru, Chikkabanahalli, Kadugodi, Gubbi, Belathuru, Mulluru, , Marathhahalli, Kasavanahalli, Dyavasandra, Ramapura, Dasarahalli, Bommenahalli, Dodda Banahalli

————–

Bangalore East taluk was formed in December, 2001 with K.R. Puram as the taluk headquarters. Region is at the elevation of 910 m and has many lakes and valleys which feed into the river ‘Dakshina Pinakini’.

This article by Dr. P.V. Krishnamurthy sketches the history of the region through the available inscriptions.

Pre History

Evidences of early human settlement is found in this region. Dolmens, standing stones, stone circles, tools and many other artifacts belonging to Megalithic period have been discovered in the following places:

Bellandur, Koramangala (dolmens- 1500 B.C), near H.A.L, Chikka Jala, Koyira, Bidarahalli – Jyothipura, Somappanahalli near K.R.Puram.

Some notable discoveries are:

D.R. Gordon discovered stone tools near Hal in 1945. Roman coins were unearthed near H.A.L.

Dr. M. Sheshadri discovered dolmens and stones in Somappanahalli near K.R.Puram in 1956.

Inscriptions

Many inscriptions give us insight into the history of Bangalore East taluk. Oldest ones belong to Gangas who ruled from 4-5 century to 10th century.  Inscriptions of Cholas who ruled the region in the 11th century are also found. In early 12th century, Hoysalas defeated Cholas and reclaimed Kannada region. Majority of the inscriptions discovered belong to the Hoysala rule. Even though Cholas were ousted in early 12th century, Hoysalas continued to use Tamil names and Tamil scripts for inscriptions for few more decades. Purvadi Raayas, feudatories of Hoysalas ruled the region from 12th to 14th centuries. Many inscriptions belonging to Vijayanagara period are also found.

This region was part of ‘Dadigavali’ and ‘Morasunaadu’ which were part of ‘Gangavadi’ during Ganga rule. Many inscriptions mention the name of ‘Masandi Naadu’.

Ganga Dynasty

750 AD

The oldest inscription is the one found at K. R. Puram belonging to the rule of the King Shri Purusha of Ganga Dynasty.  This is a hero stone with inscriptions and is dated to 8th century, (~ 750 AD).

~820 AD
  1. Found at the banks of Varthur lake, speaks of land grant to one Trailokhyaveera, granted by Ganga king Shivamara.
  2. Another inscription found at Nagondanahalli near Whitefield, speaks of donation of agriculture land to the Shiva temple by 92 ‘Maha Janaas’ (Brahmans), during the reign of Ganga king Raachamalla.
  3. Hero stone inscription at Medihalli near Ele Mallappa Shetti lake speak of battle between Gangas and Nolambaas for the possession of village ‘Ereyapamangala’ during the rules of king Rachamalla. Nolambaas were contemporaries of Gangas who ruled Banaglore, Kolar, Ananthapur (A.P) regions.
997 AD

Cholas occupied the region in the late 10th century and they renamed it as Vikrama Chola Mandala. Inscription at Kammasandra near Bidarahalli, indicate the presence of Cholas in the region. This inscription belongs to the rule of Raja Raja Chola, which mentions donations made during the rule of Nolamba chieftan Gannarasa who was ruling as feudatory to Cholas.

1043 AD

A Tamil inscription is found at Kaadugodi, belonging to the rule of Rajendra Chola, which mentions the construction of Pattanduru lake and temples of Ganehsa, Kshetrapaala, and Durga by chieftain Permadi Gavunda’s son Raja Raja Velan.

Hoysalas

1112 AD onward

Hoysalas defeated Cholas and reclaimed the land. Inscription belonging to this century can be found at Eshwara Temple of Kaadugodi that mentions renovation of this Ganga Period temple by Chola chieftains.

1200 AD

Few inscriptions of this century which belong to Hoysala rule were found at Pattandur, Haggadur, Gunjur, Gunduru, Dodda Nekkundi, Madur, Bairatthi, Hudi, Immadihalli and Saadara Mangala.

~1300 AD

Inscriptions of this period belong to the rule of Hoysala King Veera Ballala, and parts of the region were known as Veeraballala Nadu, Thorevali Nadu, Periya Nadu and Emare Nadu. The region was ruled by Purvadi Raayaru who were chieftains from 12 to 14th century.  They constructed many temples and lakes. Bannerughatta Champakadhama Swamy temple, temples on Hosur hill, Jigani, Haaragadde, Berike, Maasthi were constructed by Purvadi Raayaru clan.

1301 AD

Inscription at Someshwara temple at Gunjur, speaks of land grants and donation of taxes from weavers to the temple. It also speaks of grant of villages, Soora Katte( SoolaKunte), Kovasamutthiram (Gopasandra) and Singmana Katte.

1304 AD

Nergundi (Nekkundi) and Edamurkandahalli villages were given as grants to the Shivagange temple by chieftain , Villa Gavunda and residents of Maasandi Naadu during the rule of Hoysala King Veera Ballala.

1306 AD

Inscription at Kempapura, speaks of Villa Gavundana Halli, which might be the present day Sarjapura. It bore the name of chieftain Villa Gavunda and a temple by the name Villeeshwara existed in this village. It speaks of a village called Eumare which was an important center of administration. Eumare is the present day ‘Yamare’ village near Sarjapura.

1307 AD

This inscription at Vibhuthi Pura speaks of formation of a village Vacchidevapura and construction of tank and a Veershiava Mutt for the religious head ‘Vacchideva’ by chieftain Villa Gavunda. This tank is now known as Vibhuthi Pura Kere.

1337 AD

Two inscriptions were found at Hudi, one speaks of appointment of Bayiri Setti and Mukuthi Setti as chiefs of Chikka Hudi village and granting them rights to start a ‘Sante’, village fair at Hudi.

The other inscription mentions land grant given to one Machigouda who helped construct a lake near Hudi.

There was a village named Belur which is now part of N A L premises. There existed temples of Hoysala period with inscriptions- Someshwara, Basavvana, Veeranna temples.

Vijayanagara Dynasty

Inscriptions of Vijayanagara dynasty found in this region belong to the period from 1346 AD to 1610 AD. They are found at Sadaramangala, Bechirak Beluru(NAL), Doddakannelli, Kyalasanahalli, kithiganuru, Chikkabanahalli, Kadugodi, Gubbi, Belathuru, Mulluru, Jyothipura, Marathhahalli, Kasavanahalli, Dyavasandra, Bidarahalli, Ramapura, Dasarahalli and Bommenahalli.

These iInscriptions mention few rulers of the dynasty – Hariyappa Odeya, Bukkanna Odeya, Harihara the I, Devaraya Odeya, Saaluva Immadi Narasinga Maha Raaya, Achyutha Raaya and Venkatapathi Raaya.

1346 AD

Inscriptions are found at Saadara Mangala (1346 AD), Chikkabanahalli (1382 AD), Kittiganuru( 1367 AD, 1401 AD)

1376 AD

Inscription at Devasandra , says Vijayanagara King Bukkanna made a land grant at Devasamudra of Elehakka Naadu to Brahmans of many gothras. This shows that few villages in the region were part of Yelehakka Naadu ( present day Yelahanka)

1407 AD

Inscription at Kaadugodi mentions the construction of Hanumantha temple and donation of lamp by one Malli Setti.

1426 AD

Inscription at Gubbi village speaks of installation of Garuda Gambha in front of Someshwara temple  by one Poli Setti.

1435 AD

Inscription at Belatur, speaks of installation of Garuda Gambha in front of Gopala Swamy Temple for Deepa Maala Seva by chieftain Devijeeya.

Inscriptions which speak of donations are also found at the below mentioned temples:

Jyoteeshwara temple at Jyothipura, Anjaneya Temple at Kasavanahalli, Chodeshwari temple at Dasarahalli, Someshwara temple at Gubbi.

1504 AD

An inscription of 1540 AD was found at Marathhahalli belonging to the rule of Veera  Narasimha of Vijayanagara dynasty.

An inscription at Nekkundi village belonging to this period talks about responsibilities of village administration.

Local Chieftains

The inscriptions later to the year 1610 AD do not mention Vijayanagara Kings, but are in the name of local chiefs. This shows that the local village chiefs continued the welfare activities like construction of lakes and temples towards the end of Vijayanagara rule.

Inscription of 1618 AD at Doddabanahalli  and the inscription of 1644 AD mention construction of lakes like Gubbi Hosahalli Kere. An undated inscription at Jyothipura also mentions reward of land for constructing a tank at Jyothipura.

In recent centuries, this region came under the rule of Shahaji of Marathas, Haider Ali and Tippu of Mysore and British Colonial administration. No inscription belonging to this phase in the history is found in the region.

Advertisements

8 responses to “Inscriptions of Bangalore East Taluk – A Study

  1. It would have been better if these places are noted on to-days map of Bangalore as some these places are totally merged in the modern extensions. Sri Dr.P.V.Krishnamurthy might have given this map also. If not now also any interested person may do it. Since it is most useful. In the latest Historical Map of Bangalore these details are not available. Thanks for presenting a bird view.
    Dr.Harihara Sreenivasa Rao

  2. The article outlines the rulers of the land of East Bangalore. The pregion of Bangalore, Kolar and Chikballapur are populated by the Morasu community and is known as Morasu Nadu. A fifth century edict identifies Bangalore as Morasu Nadu. in 1500s Portugese documented that Bangalore is Morasu Nadu whose dominant community are Morasus. The 18th century census of the British also shows that the Morasus are the dominant community of Bangalore. However the land came to be ruled by different people but the demography remained mostly the same

  3. Nolambas were kings of Chitradurga District and vicinity While Gangas ruled Bangalore and Kolar from 2nd to 10th century.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s