Click on the link below to view the article.
Author: K.V.Ramakrishna Gauda
Place: Hosuru, Bengaluru
Now in Tamilnadu, in the very outskirts of Bangalore, Hosur is described in Gazetteer as built in 1674 by Guttalurappa, the Palegar of Bagalur now in Bangalore dt. But there was a place of settlement from as early as 10th century as testified by Ganga Marasimha’s record(969AD) in Gangamma temple of Ramanayakana kere and another record in Gollara Pete. The Terupete (chariot town) on the edge of the Hosur, called as Chuda Vadi in a 1314 record must have been the old town, later called Hosur. The town seems to have developed during Hoysala period. The Chandrachudeshwara temple on the hill has a Vijayanagara style gopura and is in existance from 10th century AD. Outside it is the Kashi Vishwanatha temple. The Ganapathi mantapa in the inner prakara is in Ganga style. There is a record speaking of death of Hoysala Ramanatha in this mantapa. The Gangas, Cholas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers and the Mysore princes have made donations to the Chandrachudeshwara temple. The temple came to have a Sthanika from 1082 AD. Author discusses the other shrines and the Parshwanatha basti of 12th century AD on the Chikkabetta (to the north of the Chandrachudeshwara hill) and the grants made to them. As Hosur was part of Kannada region through centuries, the temples on the hill are enriched by grants from various rulers of Karnataka as seen in numerous Kannada inscriptions.